|The Art of Power|
Part – I
Our society is founded on a very limited definition of power, namely wealth, professional success, fame, physical strength, military might and political control. My dear Friends, I suggest that there is another kind of power, a greater power: the power to be happy right in the present moment, free from addiction, fear, despair, discrimination, anger and ignorance. THIS power is a birthright of every human being, celebrated or unknown, rich or poor, strong or weak.
A Vietnamese Buddhist Zen master, poet, scholar and peace activist THICH NHAT HANH wrote this book in 2007 to enlighten us on this subject of power and tell us how true power comes from WITHIN. What we seek is what we already have. He walks to talk and to tell us "LET US HAVE COURAGE TO BEGIN THIS WITH OURSELVES." To bring happiness to others, we must be happy.I am not going to give you chapter to chapter summery of the book, because I want you to read for yourself and find out the truth. I will introduce only the points telling why you must read the said book.
Let me start...
What most people call power: Wealth, Fame, Sex, Fancy food and lots of sleep, Buddhist call cravings...
The five powers are FAITH, DILIGENCE, MINDFULNESS, CONCENTRATION and INSIGHT.
- Faith: It is capacity to trust something inside yourself as confidence and trust. You do not need to seek it outside.
- Diligence: Here there is persistence in effort and integrity. Always invite good thoughts to manifest, so negative thoughts will not have space to enter and occupy.
- Mindfulness: We are fully aware of what is happening at present moment, dwelling in present moment, no longer pulled by our regrets of the past or our worries concerning the future. We touch the wonders of life and each step nourishes our happiness.
- Concentration: It is looking deeply into the nature of reality with full(100%) attention.
- Insight: It is knowing oneself and impermanence of everything. To develop insight, we have to clearly understand that we are going to die as our relatives do.